I ran across these two chairs at a thrift store for $5 each. I thought they would make a great bench.
I cut off the chairs just in front of the back legs and then sanded what would be the sides of my bench.
I found a few benches similarly made on Pinterest and everyone seemed to be in agreement that it worked better to create the frame for the seat directly on the chairs instead of creating a frame first and then drilling it to the sides. So, I marked and cut as I went.
#1 - I cut and drilled 1x3s to both of the sides
#2 - I cut and drilled 1x3s to the front and back (I made it as wide as it would be if the two chairs were together.)
#3 - I put a support beam in the middle drilling it in the front and back of the frame
#4 -I cut out a rectangle the size of the bench out of 1/2" plywood and set aside for after I was done painting
#5 - I attached these corner braces that were on the original chairs
After all that, the bench felt extremely sturdy, so I didn't feel a need to put supports on the lower legs too. I painted the frame with two coats of primer and two coats of paint. I had used flat paint, so I sealed it with polyacrylic (it's water based and doesn't yellow the way polyurethane does).
I put some egg carton mattress foam on the seat. Then I covered it in batting and fabric and nailed it in place. The seat fit snugly in between the sides and needed a mallet to gently tap it in place.
You might also like:
YTTS #30, Artsy Fartsy Link Party, Catch as Can 212, Furniture Feature Friday, Link Party Palooza, Funky Junk Upcycled Link Party, That DIY Party, Inspire Me Monday #59, The Scoop 170, Inspire Me Tuesday 268, You're Gonna Love It Tuesday, Wow Us Wednesday 221, Wake Up Wednesday 68, FDTR 167,