Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Refinishing a Chair (Again!)

About five years ago, I painted and recovered an upholstered office chair. This is what the chair looked like after being in my husband's office all that time: 


It got pretty worn down. Time to revive it again!

I removed the seat and back and started sanding the paint off.
 The wood underneath looked pretty nice by itself, so I decided to just seal the wood and leave it with a birch look.

The sanding was getting a little tricky in the corners.

 So, I ended up dismantling the whole thing. Then I rubbed on 5 (yes, 5!) coats of polycrylic protective finish, sanding in between  each coat with a fine grain sanding block. The first 2 coats seemed to soak into the wood, so I kept going with the coats until there was a nice smooth sheen. 

I took off the old fabric and recovered the seat and back. I sewed the front and back of the top arch part together and the used staples in my compressor powered nail/staple gun to attach the rest. Then I put the whole thing back together.

I love the whole new look! It should hopefully get at least another five years of being sat on.

Linking to: Remodelaholic March Link Party, Link Party Palooza,